Skin CareTopics
 Do we really need SPF70+ sunscreen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nancyacura

53 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  12:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen these high SFP everywhere in the store. As I remember, doctors recommend SPF20 is good enough to our skin as long as we put it on every once a while. So do we really need these high SPF sunscreen?

sinsin
Gold Member Enjoys 10% Discount

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  9:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just watched about sunblocks on the news. According to the news, experts are saying that SPF 30 is enough and that anything about 30 only works like 1% better... or something like that. I can't remember.
Go to Top of Page

yycwong

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  10:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check out http://www.medicinenet.com/sun_protection_and_sunscreens/article.htm which provides all the details about sunscreen. Sunscreen generally provides 97% protection for the skin from UVA/UVB.Higher SPF means that the protection time is longer. The most efficient way for protecting your skin is to avoid staying outdoor in mid-day. Wear at least SPF30 and with a hat, cover up yourself if you really have to stay outdoor, and re-apply every few hours. I do think that higher SPF does contain more harmful chemicals to our skin. Stay away from the product containing oxybenzone, a suspected photocarcinogen.

Edited by - yycwong on 06/07/2009 11:03:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

nancyacura

53 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks yycwong's link. I've learned a lot.
Go to Top of Page

joyeux
Silver Member Enjoys 5% Discount

50 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  11:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High SPF is better. I use SPF 75 since we never put enough sunblock on our faces to actualy give us the SPF the bottle promises. When you put on a spf 20, you're likely just getting a spf of 10 or 15 since none of use really load on as much spf as we're supposed to me.
Go to Top of Page

ladypasta

70 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  9:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more SPF I wear, the more it clogs my skin.
Go to Top of Page

elea
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  10:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPF 30 sunblock is recommended for daily outdoor activities.
Go to Top of Page

vanabel
Average Member

Canada
255 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  12:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the type of or the ingredient used in SPF? I heard pros and cons for the ones they put in the mineral foundations (pur minerals or bare minerals) - what are the differences compared to the ones in say, Banana Boat?

Nastasja
Go to Top of Page

crazycat

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  10:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that oxybenzone was a suspected photocarcinogen - I've read that putting all these chemical cocktails on our skin is not a good idea so I try to find sunscreens that use more natural mineral sun blocks - titanium dioxide or zinc oxide - these are usually in mineral foundations.
Go to Top of Page

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  5:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ingredient that causes people to itch and also provides SPF in Bare Minerals is Bismuth Oxychloride.

There are different types of sunscreens out there both physical and chemical one.

Here's a great link on the differences between the two: http://skinacea.com/sunscreen/physchem.htm

Check out my channel on comparisons between beauty products at http://www.youtube.com/fionaman
Go to Top of Page

jewl01

100 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  6:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anything above 30 is only increasing sun protection minimally, if anything. I still do a 50 though (elta md) and think that reapplying is the key.

quote:
Originally posted by nancyacura

I've seen these high SFP everywhere in the store. As I remember, doctors recommend SPF20 is good enough to our skin as long as we put it on every once a while. So do we really need these high SPF sunscreen?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
eSkinStore Forum © eSkinCareStore - eSkinStore Go To Top Of Page