Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  9:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I know there are a lot of acne-prone gals in this forum and for this I love contributing. Because there are so many of us, we can share our experiences with one another and avoid certain products.

I'm always on the search for a foundation that won't cause me to break out since I have super sensitive skin. I also look for a foundation that will give me medium to full coverage due to my acne.

My question is which foundations have you tried that have broken you out? I'm talking about clogged pores and cysts. Lay down the gory details at your will.

My list of foundations that caused me to break out are as follows:
- EveryDay Minerals
- MUFE Mat Velvet+
- MUFE HD
- MAC Studio Sculpt
- Eve Pearl HD Dual
- DiorSkin Nude
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer
- Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream to Powder
- Prescriptives All Skins Mineral MakeUp
- NARS Sheer Glow
- BeautyMaker Aqua Light Creamy Foundation
- Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation
- Lancome Color Idole Ultra
- YSL Teint Resist
- Revlon Colorstay Normal/Dry

I've also tried Vichy Dermablend but couldn't get any of the colours to work. Also it seemed really cakey on me, so I didn't want to bother with it anymore and returned it at Shoppers.

Check out my channel on comparisons between beauty products at http://www.youtube.com/fionaman

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  9:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is curious, these are all foundations that I tried within the PAST YEAR!!

I heart Sephora for their samples and return policy :D

Check out my channel on comparisons between beauty products at http://www.youtube.com/fionaman
Go to Top of Page

sinsin
Gold Member Enjoys 10% Discount

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  9:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fionam! I love this thread! Thanks for starting it!

As for me, I haven't really experimented with makeup so my list will be short....

- Mac Studio fix ~ my first foundation I've ever used... it killed my skin. Clogged my pores so badly (big cysts around my chin and forehead) that it scared me enough to not wear makeup for a VERY long time....
- Cathy Girl cream powder (a Korean brand) ~ terrible, terrible, terrible line... bought this because I ran out of makeup. Terrible... :S

Go to Top of Page

ludexbebe
Average Member

Canada
232 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  10:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow thats a waste of a lot of money
all tinted moisturiers break me out except nuskin tinted moisturizer. worst was kiehls and lm
Go to Top of Page

sinsin

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry typo, it should be Cathy Cat, not Cathy Girl....

Speaking of tinted moisturizers, I used Clinique's Almost Makeup a lot. It didn't make my skin unhappy, but it did occasionally clog a few pores. I still use it sometimes when I want a break from my bareminerals (love love bareminerals).
Go to Top of Page

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  12:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem sinsin about starting this thread!

Ludexbebe: I honestly got samples of those foundations, returned all them, or swapped it away for something else. So money was never really "wasted" per say. Let's just say that I'm a "regular" at Sephora and good thing there are several locations in Toronto!

I think worst CYST causing foundations for me were: MUFE HD, Shiseido, & Eve Pearl.

This is totally off topic, but I recently got a sample of the #3 toner from Clinique and holy moley, it broke me out in cysts everywhere after one day of use. I know certain brokes are suppose to help push everything bad out but there were cysts where there were never any blackheads. Also it smelled like paint thinner. So please beware!! Once I stopped using it, all the cysts went away.

Go to Top of Page

sinsin

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  01:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why I'm so afraid of messing with my core skincare regime... don't EVER want to deal with intense clogged pores and then inflammed acne again. :S The thought of it just scares me.
While I was backpacking, I ran out of the cleanser and toner (a line from my dermatologist) so I had to use the Neutrogena deep clean face wash (it was the only 'safer' ones I could find)... and omg, my skin was covered with clogged pores. After using it, at one point, I had a cluster of more than 10 clogged pores on the left side of my chin. It was terrible! The pores then got infected and it itched and burned. Luckily that was at the end of my backpacking and had to fly back to Korea for my summer job. Once I got to Korea it was intense facial time. Luckily Korea has AMAZING facials and skin care. My skin was healed after a month and a 1/2. It was a terrible experience.
Another product that I'm not a fan of is the PCA face cream (forgot the actual name right now). Every time I used it, my skin would burn and itch. I would scratch my face and my neck non stop. PCA, from what I heard, is not bad, but it's definitely not for me. When I came back to Canada, I went to this local 'spa' (I would now only go to medspas) where the lady there knew nothing and kept on giving me bad advices. Convinced me that the itching was normal.... gawd I hate that lady. Wasted my money and prolonged my acne problem....
Go to Top of Page

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  11:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing your story sinsin. Yeah, I'm still trying to find my "core" regimen as you put it.

It's so hard because there are so many products in the market and they all make similar claims. Also when you look in the ingredients list, they don't look like much harm. *sigh*

You are so lucky that you got to go to Korea!! What's your core regimen now?

Go to Top of Page

ludexbebe
Average Member

Canada
232 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  3:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree most spas are not knowledgable/professional i only goto medispas as well. ive been to a lot and all of the girls are not knowledgable but try to be authoriative about their knowledge when u know theyre just flat out wrong. i worked at a top rated spa before and they were not that knowldgable and even when i made friends with some of the esthiticians and ask them advice to learn some secrets to skincare they didnt tell me anything i already didnt know from reading on the internet. why are girls such power trippers
Go to Top of Page

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are medispas/medspas? I never heard of the term before.

It's a shame to see girls that work in skincare/beauty industry to not have all the knowledge when providing assessments and recommendations for customers. They think there is only one right answer and they are always correct.

From time to time, you encounter those people that are truly understanding and you're able to connect well with. That's what sets apart alright customers service to an excellent experience.

I recently went to Sears to get a sample of Guerlain Aqua Foundation and the girl there was honestly so much better and did not have an ego compared to those at Holts. She told me, "foundation is like skincare. It's really hard to find the right one for you and ongoing search. I really do hope our foundation does work for you and come back to let me know if it does or doesn't work out. I'm always eager to find out our customer's reactions. I don't care about commission because it's like 30 cents. I rather just have a happy customer." I didn't even buy anything and just asked for a sample. I walked out really happy and didn't feel coerced in buying anything.

Just a side note: Sears don't usually give samples. She told me next time to bring an empty jar. But she sneaked out to other counters to find an empty jar and tried to avoid her manager. Sweet girl!

Go to Top of Page

sinsin

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  12:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
medispas or medspas are spas that has a medical touch (ie. has a doctor). It's more like clinics and day spas meshed together. They are, in my opinion, much MUCH better than normal spas (but that's b/c of my skin condition). In Korea, they have medspas EVERYWHERE. Although they charge about 40%+ more than the local spas, it's still worth it. The medspas here (or other spas) in the GTA cannot compare to the spas in Korea. The difference is too big. I really miss the skin clinics in Korea. *sigh*.
As for my current core regime, I am using the DCL line ~ active cleanser, toner, serum, day and night cream. I also use clindoxyl gel as a spot treatment. And I also do a mask at least once a week. Though I am not complaining about my current core regime, sometimes I do want to better products (ie. La Mer gel, and SK II toner). I actually really miss using SK II, but so expensive...
Go to Top of Page

Coffeebean
Average Member

Canada
279 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  3:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Fiona for the info! I try stuff, but certainly not to the same extent LoL
I've had no problems with Make Up Forever stuff, nor any Nars, Laura Mercier. I have, however, boycotted all drugstore brands makeup & skincare, b/c they just cannot compare to the department store brands.
The only one I've tried that I have correlated to me breaking out, is Clarins. I got a sample of the Clarins Truly Matte foundation over the summer, thinking it would be perfect for the summer time....NOPE! I have an oily t-zone, and in the summer, it's very very evident, and the breakouts I get are usually on my cheeks, which tend to be more dry. This foundation did NOT blend well, it felt like I was wearing a 2-inch mask on my face, and it did NOTHING to help. Oh wait, I take that back, it did soak up all the oil, but at what cost??
Go to Top of Page

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks sinsin for the explanation of Medspas. Anyone you recommend? I really want to try it out now.

The thing with me and foundations is that a lot of them (as you can see from my extensive list)breaks me out and I need coverage. I have ridiculously sensitive skin, so I always have to convince non-Sephora counters to give me samples to try.

I really don't like drugstore foundations. You can't colour match properly and there are rarely any testers. If only companies would invest the money from advertisements towards providing testers and/or samples that would be much better.

Thanks Coffeebean...will definitely stay away from Clarins.

Go to Top of Page

sinsin

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fionam, I do have one medspa that I would recommend going to in the GTA. It's a Chinese one and so far, it's the best combo or med and spa I've found in North America -- and if you tell them you're referred by me (existing customer) you will get a free gift on your consultation, and a $20 coupon if you decide to get any treatment with them, and I would get a free facial. Plus! No need to pay tips! Went to one in nyc and yeah... tipping culture there is outrageous. Keep in mind though, medspas IN Korea are by far the greatest I've ever experienced!

Is there some way I can message you privately? I don't want to advertise another spas' info here :)
Go to Top of Page

fionam

Canada
193 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  7:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be awesome, sinsin. Message me on YouTube, please :D

Go to Top of Page

sinsin

Canada
504 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  01:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
info sent :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly